Here’s the information from last year’s Pinewood Derby:
- Design & Build Workshop – Saturday, February 18 at Dan’s Garage
- Build & Test Workshop and Test Track – Saturday, March 4 at Sandpiper Community Center
- Race! – Friday, March 17th at Sandpiper Community Center
The rules are intended to provide a fair fun race for the boys. The basic rules are:
- Cars must be built this year and not re-used from previous years
- Use an official BSA Pinewood Derby kit, and not a PineCar or other kit
- Weight: Cars must weigh no more than 5 ounces as weighed on the official scale
- Width: Cars must be no wider (with wheels) than 2.75″
- Length: Cars must be no longer than 7″. There is no minimum other than the wheelbase requirement below.
- Wheelbase: Cars must have a wheelbase of between 4″ and 4.5″
- Ground clearance: At least 3/8″ from the bottom of the wheels to the lowest part of the car other than the wheels.
- Wheel treads must not be modified in any way.
- The car should be substantially built by the scout, with assistance from the parent. The parent shouldn’t build the car for the scout!
The Redwood District Pinewood Derby Rules for 2017 have not been published yet, but here are the Redwood District Pinewood Derby Rules for 2016.
Come join us at one of 2 workshops to:
- Get your car cut from your design
- Sand your newly cut car with power sanders
- Have your axles polished
Alternate Locations to Go For Help
The web is full of some great resources for designing and building your car with your Cub Scout. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Sawdust Shop. Everything you need (including expert advise and every tool under the sun) in Santa Clara – You can go on your own or as a den
- Dremel Car Designer. You can pick a design and download the template for copying to your car block. Makes it really easy to get started with your car design.
- Michaels. They have a section of Pinewood Derby cars, paints, decals, books, graphite, axles, etc.
- Lowe’s. It looks like Lowe’s is hosting Pinewood Derby sessions with Dremel gear. Check their webpage for more details. .