About Pack 61
Cub Scout Pack 61 General Information
Cub Scouts area part of the Boy Scouts of America for boys in 1st through 5th grades. The Cub Scout experience includes fun, excitement, outdoor opportunities and a chance to participate in a program which emphasizes participation, “doing your best,” and helping others. Youth safety is the highest priority of Scouting. Screened and trained volunteer parents lead each Den and the Pack. Cub Scouting is for Scouts and parents and their families together, as they work and learn with their boys.
- Experience new physical skills through games, crafts, and sports
- Learn how to get along with others through group activities
- Are encouraged to respect themselves, their home, country and other people
- Develop values that will assist them in making appropriate decisions in the future
- Is one of the oldest packs in the Pacific Skyline Council, with 75 years of history serving the Belmont/Redwood Shores community
- Our overseeing sponsor is the Redwood Shores Lions Club
- Each Cub Scout is a member of a Den within the Pack
- Each Den has at least four boys of the same age/grade
- Monthly Den Meetings are at a specific location or at a Scout’s home, as planned by the Den
- Meetings include activities to progress toward rank awards, plus games, crafts, sharing, songs, ceremonies and lots of fun. Dens often have a monthly field trip activity
- Dens are led by the parents of the Scouts in the Den (aka “Akelas,” meaning “adult leaders”). Two parents in each Den volunteer to serve as trained Co-Leaders.
- All of the Dens meet together as a Pack, typically on the 3rd Friday of each month from 7:00pm to 8:30pm in the Sandpiper Community Center’s multi-purpose room.
- Meetings have various activities, including presentations of skits, achievement awards, and special races of cars, boats or rockets the Scouts make with their Akelas.
There are often optional weekend Pack activities such as:
- Camping: Fall, Spring and Summer at the Council’s campground in the Santa Cruz Mountains
- Community: Levee Cleanup, Flower Planting, Grave Decoration, Scouting for Food, Toy Drive, Costume Donation, Eyeglass Donations, Caroling, Save the Music
- Fun: Summer Packtivities, SJ Giants Campout, Collections, Geocaching, Water Rockets
- Nature: Hikes, Bike Rides, Orienteering, Service Projects
- Overnighters: Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, Pampanito Submarine, USS Hornet, Cal Academy
- Unique Scouting Events: Milk Carton Boat Race & BBQ, Pinewood Derby, Space Derby, Raingutter Regatta and Scout-O-Rama
The Pack’s registration fee for new Scouts is $135, which covers national and local application fees, a subscription to Boy’s Life Magazine, awards, a Class ‘B’ Pack Uniform (t-shirt), and Pack Meeting activities. The fee is kept low with the help of funds raised by Scouts’ Fall Popcorn Sales.