Hillside Group Camp, 9000 Portola State Park Rd, La Honda
Join the Pack for a weekend in the majestic redwoods and recharge before school starts! Enjoy good food, leisurely hikes, creekside play, fun activities, and plenty of unstructured time to relax and soak in the beauty of the redwoods.
There will be communal breakfasts, dinners, hikes, and evening campfires. There will also be evening entertainment, complements of the children (Scouts and siblings), as well as a shelter-building contest, scavenger hunt, whittling (for Scouts with a whittling chip and card), and crafts. All group activities will be opt-in.
All Pack 61 family members are invited. Space is limited to the first 50 registrants. Families will be asked to help with meal and / or campfire preparation. Participants will also be asked to help transport group supplies. Details will be provided in July.
Note this is family camping, and not a formal Scouting activity. BSA insurance will not extend to this event.
• Adults and children 6 and older / $55.00 per person
• Children under 6 years / $30 per person
Click here to register and for payment information: https://goo.gl/forms/zafSihh0Fxr1XjHO2
The trip from Redwood Shores is 60-90 minutes, depending on traffic. Highway 84 to Skyline is the quickest route. Turn South on Skyline and then West (right) on Alpine Road. From there, it’s about 20 minutes down. Watch the signs—the road splits a couple of times and you need to stay on course to Portola Redwoods State Park.
Check-in begins at 2pm. If you are bringing supplies for Friday night dinner, please arrive by 4:00pm. Check in at the main Ranger Station to get your parking pass. You will also learn about the park’s Crumb Free Policy and will need to sign a form acknowledging it. The Rangers will provide parking directions. We will be at the Hillside Group Campsite. When you arrive, pick a spot and set up camp. Have your Scout help you. This is a requirement for the older boys so put them to work! Plus, it’s fun for them.
Check-out is noon on Sunday. We will do a short hike after we pack up camp on Sunday and should be all wrapped up and on the road by 1:30/2pm.
Between Friday and Sunday, our agenda is to enjoy nature, each other’s company, and lots of good food and memorable experiences. We’ll have some optional group activities at camp; some organized hikes; some organized creek play; and lots of unstructured time for everyone to chill, explore, and get their nature groove on.
Communal meals will include a vegetarian option.
What do you need to bring?
• Sleeping Bags
• Sleeping Pads
• Backpacks, water bottles, water
• Folding chairs
• Small cooler with ice (for own personal lunch food – lunch will not be a communal meal)
• Sealed container/s for non-perishable food
What should you wear?
• Close-toed shoes with good quality tread for hiking
• Close-toed camp shoes for around camp
• Jeans / shorts (sturdy material—avoid knits)
• T-shirts, long sleeved shirts
• Personal items
What other gear should your bring?
• Pocket knife and whittling card – bring the former only if you bring the latter
• S’mores kit / skewers
• Toiletries – whatever you think you need
• Swim suit or creek play gear with water shoes
• Any other gear you sign up to bring or think might be helpful
• No electronics – there are no outlets
• No screens – there is no WiFi other than in the visitor’s center
• Balls, frisbees, cards, or other forms of entertainment that you’re comfortable sharing with the Pack
• No wheeled toys please – no bikes, scooters, skates, etc.
What preventatives/first aide/medicines should you pack?
• Sunscreen and Off (or other bug repellent)
• Basic first aid: band aids, gauze, tape, etc.
• Cortisone or other anti-itch cream like after bite
• Small rubbing alcohol or hand sanitizer (good for poison oak exposure)
• Medications you think you might need, such as ibuprofen, Benadryl, and Claritin
What food should you bring?
• Lunch! You need to bring lunch food for your family for Saturday and Sunday. Bring your own cooler/ice to keep it cold.
• Snacks! If you like to snack, bring them.
For more information please visit: HTTP://www.scoutbook.com/mobile/dashboard/calendar/event.asp?EventID=2041630