Pinewood Derby – 2020
Pinewood Derby News
We will like to welcome all young racers to the 2020 Pinewood Derby, otherwise known as the greatest race on earth! As we are all doing our part for staying healthy, we will be having a Virtual Pinewood Derby this year. We will have a lot of potential racers vying for that elusive spot in the winner’s circle! Or maybe you just want to make a cool car and see it go! There will be prizes in multiple categories, as well as the fastest, so have fun building and decorating.
Rough Cut of Wooden Blocks – Sun 6/7
Instead of hosting an in-person workshop with hands on tools as in past years, the Pack will only be able to rough cut your scout’s block shape with a band saw. If your scout wants their block cut, please have them mark with a pencil the contour they want and their name plus den number for identification.
Blocks can be dropped off at Patrick’s house 403 Hiller St, Belmont, CA 94002 anytime in the box in his front courtyard before 6/7.
It will be cut and placed in the same box for retrieval any time after 6/7 at 5PM.
Optional Practice Run – Sat 6/20 – Practice Run Signup
To maintain safe social distancing, practice runs where scouts can test out their derby cars on the race track will be based time slots reserved ahead of time. We ask if you or your scout do not feel well to not attend the practice run. Everyone will be required to wear face masks in order to participate or else will be asked to leave.
The race track will also be at Patrick’s house in his backyard.
Saturday 6/20, with reserved 45 minute slots between 1PM-6PM.
Register – Thu 6/25 Car Name
Please ask your Scout what the car name is and register the car by 12:00pm Thursday 6/25.
Built a second car or just don’t like following rules – join the Outlaw Races
please register at: Car Name.
By registering on time, we can prepare accordingly for the number of heats for the race.
Drop off your Scouts car by Saturday 6/27 by 10AM at Patrick’s house again.
Pinewood Derby Race – Saturday 6/27 1PM-4PM.
Race coverage will be streamed live via web conferencing (will send link and more information closer to race day). We will try to stream multiple race track angles and the scoreboard. Cub Master Dave will be providing race commentary throughout!
The rules are intended to provide a fair fun race for the scouts. The basic rules are:
- Cars must be built this year and not re-used from previous years
- Use an official BSA Pinewood Derby kit, and not a PineCar or other kit
- Weight: Cars must weigh no more than 5 ounces as weighed on the official scale (some people may not have scales, if the car is overweight, the car will be run in the Outlaw races)
- Width: Cars must be no wider (with wheels) than 2.75″
- Length: Cars must be no longer than 7″. There is no minimum other than the wheelbase requirement below.
- Wheelbase: Cars must have a wheelbase of between 4″ and 4.5″
- Ground clearance: At least 3/8″ from the bottom of the wheels to the lowest part of the car other than the wheels.
- Wheel treads must not be modified in any way.
- The car should be substantially built by the scout, with assistance from the parent. The parent shouldn’t build the car for the scout!
For the detailed rules, please refer to the BSA Pinewood Derby Rules
Alternate Locations to Go For Help
The web is full of some great resources for designing and building your car with your Cub Scout. Here are a few of our favorites:
Use Science to Build the Fastest Pinewood Derby Car. A former NASA engineer explains how you can use science to build a fast Pinewood Derby car
Dremel Car Designer. You can pick a design and download the template for copying to your car block. Makes it really easy to get started with your car design.
- Michaels. They have a section of Pinewood Derby cars, paints, decals, books, graphite, axles, etc.