- The First Cut Workshop – Saturday, February 17 at Simon’s Garage
- The First Cut Workshop – Sunday, March 4 at Simon’s Garage
- Test Track – Sunday, March 4 at Sandpiper Community Center
- Final Countdown Workshop – Friday, March 15 at Simon’s Garage
- Race! – Friday, March 16 at Sandpiper Community Center
The rules are intended to provide a fair fun race for the boys. The basic rules are:
- Cars must be built this year and not re-used from previous years
- Use an official BSA Pinewood Derby kit, and not a PineCar or other kit
- Weight: Cars must weigh no more than 5 ounces as weighed on the official scale
- Width: Cars must be no wider (with wheels) than 2.75″
- Length: Cars must be no longer than 7″. There is no minimum other than the wheelbase requirement below.
- Wheelbase: Cars must have a wheelbase of between 4″ and 4.5″
- Ground clearance: At least 3/8″ from the bottom of the wheels to the lowest part of the car other than the wheels.
- Wheel treads must not be modified in any way.
- The car should be substantially built by the scout, with assistance from the parent. The parent shouldn’t build the car for the scout!
For the detailed rules, please refer to the Official Redwood District Pinewood Derby Rules 2018.
Come join us at one of the workshops to:
- Get your car cut from your design
- Sand your newly cut car with power sanders
- Polish your axles
Alternate Locations to Go For Help
The web is full of some great resources for designing and building your car with your Cub Scout. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Dremel Car Designer. You can pick a design and download the template for copying to your car block. Makes it really easy to get started with your car design.
- Michaels. They have a section of Pinewood Derby cars, paints, decals, books, graphite, axles, etc.